Installation Guide and Maintenance
The process for how to install saltillo tile is not as complicated as many myths that exist. Follow our simple guides for easy instructions to install saltillo tile. We also provide recommendations on what thin sets, grouts and saltillo sealer is ideal for our Mexican tiles. It is our goal that homeowners enjoy their terra cotta tile floors. When you’ve purchased your tile and material from us, we’re happy to spend time on the phone or via email with installers to make certain that your saltillo project is done correctly and beautifully!
Installation Guides for Saltillo and Terra Cotta floors:
- Installing saltillo on a wood subfloor instructions: This is a do-it-yourself guide for installing saltillo tile on a wood floor substrate. PDF printable instructions are available.
- Installing saltillo on a slab subfloor instructions: This is a do-it-yourself guide for installing saltillo tile on a slab floor substrate. PDF printable instructions are available.
Installation Materials Recommended
- Thin sets: We recommend PermaFlex thinsets. Read more to find out which saltillo thin set is right for your project.
- Grout: Grout choice and color can transform your saltillo tile floors. Most commonly used is sanded grout in the color of your choice or Quikrete Mortar Mix found at a local home improvement store.
Most of our clients purchase presealed saltillo Mexican tile. It comes ready to install but still needs a protective topcoat sealer. We have a couple of Saltillo tile sealer options from which to select. This final coat of sealer is the secret to reducing maintenance of your terracotta tile for years to come.
Other Commonly Asked Questions, such as those listed below and more, can be found on our Care and Maintenance page:
- How do I Repair my saltillo floor?
- How can I match an existing tile?
- How do I care for efflorescence on my terracotta tile?
- How do I clean my terra cotta tile floor?